Contact

Contact: rloznak@gmail.com. All images are copyrighted.

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Lyrid meteor shower

We had a rare clear night in western Oregon for the Lyrid meteor shower. I'm not really much of an astronomy buff, but I gave it a try. I shot this looking east above our barn in rural Douglas County, Oregon. I pushed the ISO way up and the camera captured more meteors than I saw with my eye. I car drove past during this 30-second exposure.
 
Every year in late April earth passes through the dusty tail of comet Thatcher and the encounter causes the Lyrid meteor shower. This year the shower peaked on April 21st.

Since someone asked for the technical details here they are: Nikon D4, Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 lens (set to 24mm and f/2.8), ISO 2500, single 30-second exposure. Shot in RAW format and converted to jpeg.  Noise reduction turned ON in camera. I have an old, but good, Manfrotto tripod with a 3030 head. The exposure on the trees and barn is caused by a car driving past on the county road.  At 30 seconds the stars begin to get motion blurred.  I LOVE my new D4.

1 comment:

  1. This is such an impressive photograph. I would love to know the camera/lens and settings used to capture this scene so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete